When our ancestors discovered the advantage of eating cooked meat instead of raw, they started applying the same principle of cooking to all foods. In the following years, most people have been consuming a lesser amount of raw food with the exception of few salads here and there. With our recent concern about health problems like heart disease and diabetes, our awareness of the benefits of raw foods on health has resulted in our attention to raw foods.
Eating raw foods is just the consumption of foods like fruits, vegetables and nuts in their original state; uncooked, unprocessed, and often organic. If you are still unsure, here are ten tips on why eating raw food is advantageous.
- Foods that are heated at the temperature above 104 °F (40 °C) loose most of their nutritional value. You get most of the nutritional value of foods by eating them raw or cooked below the mentioned temperature. Besides destroying most of the vitamins and minerals of food, temperature above 104 °F (40 °C) destroy the digestive enzymes in food which aid digestion.
- Since raw foods are full of flavor, they require less addition of extra flavorings like salt, sugar, and spices which can overburden the liver and kidneys as they try to detoxify the body of these additives.
- Raw foods like fruits and vegetables are high in water content and contain huge amount of fibers which help fill you up more quickly. This can ultimately help you to lose weight.
- People who find preparing meals to be time consuming will love the simplicity of the raw food diets. The time you save can be put to other uses.
- There will be less mess for you to clean up in preparing for raw food diets. Leftovers can be given back to nature as fertilizers. You will even save on the dishwashing detergent because of the lesser amount required since there are no grease on the dishes.
- You do not have to worry about overcooking your food or burning your fingers, mouth or lips with the raw food diet.
- Because raw food diet is believed to have higher nutrient values, it helps keep your body fit and working well. You are more likely to be shielded against common colds and flu and less prone to suffer from digestive disorders like gas, heartburn, constipation and indigestion.
- Raw food diets allow you to save money on food bills, energy costs, and medical bills.
- Since there is no free radical being produced by heat, raw food diets are great for your general health and have been shown to have positive effect on heart disease. The raw food diets reduce the risk of cancer cause by harmful chemical toxins that are the by-products of cooking food.
- Since raw foods like fruits and vegetables are high in antioxidants, they can help to stifle signs of aging
The raw food diet is a great approach to salvage your body, conserve your money and rescue the planet.