It is a normal phenomenon for people to go through occasional night of sleeplessness without any repercussion. It is when these sleepless nights evolve into a regular pattern that occurs on a more regular basis, that you would acknowledge that you have a sleeping problem. Strings of sleepless nights can directly affect every area of your life (physical, mental, and emotional).
Lack of sleep on a regular basis can greatly disturb your overall daily functioning and adversely affect your overall health. If problem persist over a period of time, this could terribly interfere with your health, your relationships and your work.
If you suffered from chronic insomnia, you should consult with your physician to get to the root cause of the problem. Following a proper diagnosis, your physician can then prescribe to you the right solution to your problem.
Here are some of the practices you can utilize to get you back on track to sleeping right on your own again:
- Take a warm shower or bath before going to bed. This helps to relax your muscles.
- If you cannot sleep after being in the bed for at least fifteen minutes, you should get out of bed so that your brain would not correlate your inability to sleep with your bed. You want to make sure that you are not conditioning your brain to form this kind of association.
- Half an hour before you go to bed, make sure to avoid any activity that stimulates your brain such as watching television, sitting in front of your computer surfing the net, listening to stimulating music or being in a very bright room with lots of light. You do not want to signal your brain to be in the “wake up” mode.
- You should do some type of meditation to help clear your mind of restless thoughts. Mediation helps calm your mind and put your body at ease, making it easier for you to get to sleep.
- Avoid stimulating beverages like coffee, at least few hours before going to bed.
- Incorporate exercise routine into your daily lifestyle. Exercise is great for your overall health and good at regulating your sleep cycle. Just be sure to not exercise two to three hours before going to bed, because it keeps you active and make it difficult for you to go to sleep.
- Avoid using alcohol as a sleep aide. You do not want to be the victim of alcohol addiction as a result of continually using it to help you sleep.
- Drinking a cup of Chamomile tea can be a great remedy for encouraging better sleep.
- Establish a regular bedtime routine so that your body will be train to realize that it is time to sleep.
- Make sure that your bedroom is dark, quiet and cool to accommodate better sleep.
- It is a good idea to avoid daytime nap so that when nighttime come, you will get tired and sleep more easily.
- Do not use your bed for any other things beside sleeping and having sex.
- Avoid going to bed too hungry or too full.
- For some people, listening to brainwave entrainment recording can help them sleep better.
- Taking Melatonin for few days can help you get back on the road to sleep better.
- Do not worry about your struggle to get some sleep because this can keep you awake.
If you still cannot sleep after implementing all these strategies, consult with your physician. Just always remember that there is a solution for every problem and when you get to the root cause of your sleeplessness, you can treat it and get back on track to a good night sleep.